Saturday, February 7, 2009

a really great grandpa

On January 26th my great grandpa passed away at the age of 99 1/2. He was such a wonderful man and mentor. I loved listening to his stories of life and love. He led such a fulfilled and interesting life. From serving in the army to med school and raising 5 wonderful children, it was such a celebration of his life. I have some great memories of chasing jack rabbits with him through mud, getting our shoes stuck, and spending hours on the front porch digging all the mud out. He always took the time to tell you how special you were to him and never did you have a conversation that wasnt full of laughter and jokes. He loved a good practical joke and had a great sense of humor. Never once did he complain about his aches and pains, and he always wanted you to think he was doing better than before. Last time I talked to him before we went to Australia, he told me he gained 30 lbs and was feeling much better. He had made it to great great grandpa status with my niece and just barely missed our little guy. I would have loved to have a picture of them together, but I know we will all be together again some day. May he rest in peace along side his beautiful wife Ruth and we are all so glad for their reunion.
It is so much fun when all the Armstrongs get together, but it is not nearly often enough.
justin playing with my cute niece.

2 comments:

Danny and Kristen Woodbury said...

I think it have it!!! There's a deacon in our ward who's name is RILEY Henderson... that could be an australian name! I know you're going for unique, so that name fits the ticket! Am I right?

Danny and Kristen Woodbury said...

I have a friend who's daughter's name is Finley... she made me guess until I figured it out... would you allow me the same game? I promise not to tell if I get it right! Promise!